Another woman has come forward with allegations against Chris Noth, becoming the fifth woman this month to accuse the “Sex and the City” and “Law & Order” star of sexual assault.
In a press conference with her attorney Gloria Allred, a singer-songwriter, Lisa Gentile, alleged she was “sexually victimized” by Noth in 2002. She claimed Noth forcibly pulled her, kissed her and touched her breasts.
More from Variety
“I was trying to get him to stop,” Gentile said.
The day after the alleged incident, Gentile claims Noth called her and said if she “ever told a soul about what happened the night before, that he would ruin my career, I would never sing again and he would blacklist me in the business.”
Variety has reached out to Noth’s representatives for comment, and will update this story if they respond. Noth has previously denied all other allegations, calling them “categorically false.”
Gentile said she was coming forward with Allred, in hopes of changing legislature relating to sexual abuse. Since her alleged incident with Noth would have occurred nearly 20 years ago, the statute of limitations has passed. Allred said her client “believes it is time for the law to change and that is why she is speaking out today.”
“I believe we should have our day in court to hold Mr. Noth accountable for what he did,” Gentile said, speaking on behalf of the other women who have recently accused Noth of sexual assault.
Prior to Gentile’s press conference today, two anonymous women told The Hollywood Reporter, in a report published last week, that Noth assaulted them on separate occasions, in 2004 and 2015. Shortly after, a third woman spoke to The Daily Beast, alleging sexual assault in 2010.
In the wake of the allegations, Noth was swiftly dropped by his talent agency, A3 Artists Agency, and was also fired from the CBS series “The Equalizer”. Days before the exposé in The Hollywood Reporter was published, Noth had garnered much attention as his iconic “Sex and the City” character, Mr. Big, was surprisingly killed off the HBO Max reboot, “And Just Like That.” Following the shocking TV death, Noth appeared in a Peloton ad, produced by Ryan Reynolds, which revived him — only shortly, before the at-home exercise company quickly yanked the ad.
With Noth making headlines, news reports regarding his ex-girlfriend, the supermodel Beverly Johnson — who dated the actor for five years in the early 1990s — have resurfaced, including a 1995 newspaper clipping from the National Enquirer, which more than two decades ago, printed the headline: “Shocking Court Papers Claim Top Model Battered By ‘Law & Order’ Star.”
This week, Page Six uncovered court documents that reveal Johnson was filed a restraining order against Noth in 1995, after claiming he made repeated calls threatening to “kill” her.
“Chris Noth punched me in the chest and ribs, injuring my ribs, making it difficult to breathe, punching and bruising my face and body in which I had to have medical attention,” Johnson alleged in court docs. “On July 27, 1995, he made repeated threats on my life making up to 25 calls per day threatening to kill me [and] destroy my face. Threatened to kill dog.”
A judge granted the temporary restraining order, which Johnson filed for in August 1995. A few months later, the order was modified into a mutual restraining order. In 1993, the Daily News ran a separate article that alleged Johnson had punched Noth in the face. After the mutual restraining order was granted, both Johnson and Both agreed to stay 500 yards away from each other, and not to make derogatory statements about one another.
Noth’s representatives did not respond to Variety‘s request comment regarding Johnson, and Noth has not made any recent comments to the media, regarding Johnson or the restraining order.
Ron Galella Collection via Getty
This week, an actor on “Sex in the City,” who worked as Kristin Davis’ stand-in for four seasons when she was in her mid-20’s, penned an essay for The Independent, calling Noth’s behavior on-set “disgusting” and “toxic.” She alleged Noth slid his hand down her back and “over my butt.”
The female stars of “Sex and the City” — Davis, Cynthia Nixon and Sarah Jessica Parker — addressed the allegations against Noth in a joint statement this week. “We are deeply saddened to hear the allegations against Chris Noth. We support the women who have come forward and shared their painful experiences. We know it must be a very difficult thing to do and we commend them for it,” the three actors stated.
On Thursday’s press conference, Allred urged Noth’s “Sex and the City” co-stars — Parker, Nixon and Davis — to publicly express support the Adult Survivors Act in New York state, which would allow sexual assault victims to seek justice, after the statute of limitations has passed.
“Lisa and I appreciate their words of support,” Allred said of Parker, Nixon and Davis. “And now we urge Sarah, Cynthia and Kristin to take action, to speak out in support of the adult survivors act. Their endorsement of this act would be important.”
Allred said she hopes the three actors will contact New York Governor, Kathy Hochul, to offer their support the bill and also state their willingness to testify in front of the New York State Assembly. (It’s worth noting that in 2018, Nixon ran for Governor of New York as a challenger to the now-disgraced Andrew Cuomo.)
Allred added, “All we want for Christmas is access to justice and the passage of the Adult Survivors Act next year.”
Bryan Bedder for Variety
Noth has denied all previous accusations. In response to the women alleging rape and assault to The Hollywood Reporter, Noth said the instances were consensual. In response to the woman who anonymously came forward to The Daily Beast, a representative for Noth said the story was “a complete fabrication” and that “Chris has no knowledge of who this individual is.”
“The accusations against me made by individuals I met years, even decades, ago are categorically false,” Noth said, after the first exposé was published. “These stories could’ve been from 30 years ago or 30 days ago — no always means no — that is a line I did not cross. The encounters were consensual. It’s difficult not to question the timing of these stories coming out. I don’t know for certain why they are surfacing now, but I do know this: I did not assault these women.”
Best of Variety
Sign up for Variety’s Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.