August Is National Water Quality Month
by SPM Wire ◊ Aug 17, 2012
August is National Water Quality month, and a great time to become a better steward of the environment and human health.
Here are some ways to get started:
• Throw all waste into recycling bins or garbage cans, as litter often ends up in waterways.
• Participate in a beach, stream, or wetland cleanup.
• Avoid using pesticides and fertilizers containing hazardous chemicals that contaminate ground water.
• Plant trees and gardens to help absorb water and prevent runoff, which carries pollutants into our waterways.
• Fix leaky faucets and take shorter showers. Conserve water whenever possible.
For more information about how to help, visit http://www.epa.gov/.
Make a splash this August, and take steps to protect your water.