Keep Kids Safe from Common Household Poisons
by (StatePoint) ◊ Jun 17, 2011
Each year, approximately 2.4 million people – more than half under age six – swallow or have contact with a poisonous substance, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. The most dangerous potential poisons are medicines, cleaning products, antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, pesticides, furniture polish, gasoline, kerosene, and lamp oil.
Most child poisonings occur when parents or caregivers are home but not paying attention, so it’s important never to leave poisonous substances within reach of children, even for a minute. If your child comes in contact with a poisonous substance, and is unconscious, not breathing, or having convulsions or seizures due to poison contact, call 911 immediately. For mild or no symptoms, call your poison control center at 1.800.222.1222.